Last modified: 2008-08-02 by ian macdonald
Keywords: distrito federal (brazil) | brazil | brasilia |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
by António Martins
Adopted 25 August 1969
The flag of the Federal District of Brasilia was instituted by decree on 25 August 1969.
It was designed by the poet Guilherme de Almeida, an authority on heraldry.
The target symbolizes peace, while the four arrows in the form of a cross
connect with the indigenous tradition of the four cardinal points of the compass.
Jaume Ollé, 28 June 1996
The flag of the Federal District was instituted by decree no. 1090 of 25 August 1969.
It is the white field that represents peace, while the green rectangle and the yellow cross
(made of four arrows) refer to the national colors. The cross has a lozenge in the center formed by the
feathers of the arrows, another reference to the national flag. The arrows
are an allusion to the arrows of the indigenous peoples and indicate "the
centrifugal action of power" emanating toward the four cardinal points of the compass.
The cross also symbolizes the Southern Cross, the cross carried by the
explorer Cabral, and Christian beliefs.
Joseph McMillan, 22 August 2002
From what's shown on the DF government website,
it looks like the right design has the ends of the feathers of the arrows
touching to form a closed lozenge in the center, but the bars of the cross are
Joseph McMillan, 15 January 2004
by Jaume Ollé and Joseph McMillan
According to Flagscan 55, the Distrito Federal
had a different flag before 1969.
Jaume Ollé, 8 December 1999
From http://www.infobrasilia.com.br/bsb_hino.htm. Dov Gutterman, 29 May 1999